What is SEO and is SEO important for my website?
Many of our clients ask us what is SEO and is SEO important for my website?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation which is a technique where we research the key phrases that potential customers will type into google to find your services. For example, if you live or work in Geelong and you need a website built you may type into google key phrases like; website design geelong, geelong web designer, web design geelong or geelong website design.
In simpler terms, Search Engine Optimisation is a way to improve your website so that it will appear closer to the top positions in Google search results.
To rank for these particular key phrases you will need to have a page on your website with a minimum of 300 words that mentions your key phrase 3-5 times. We will also name the page with one of these keywords so it appears in the URL eg. www.yourwebsite/geelong-website-design. Other important features we implement is an SEO Title and Meta Description to every page of your website. These are displayed in Google search results as below;
Geelong Website Design Services | Web Design – This is your SEO Title
www.yourwebsite/geelong-website-design – This is your URL/Page Name
Our Geelong website design team are highly experienced in web design
and SEO techniques to help your webpage rank in google search results. – This is your Meta Description
By using these SEO techniques you are giving your website the best chance of ranking in google search results organically (non-paid). 75% of googles search result traffic goes to websites that are on the first page. This means that if your website is not ranking on the homepage for a particular keyword you are missing out on potential customers.
Many SEO companies promise they will get your website on the first page for a particular keyword. This is a lie, nobody can guarantee rankings on the first page. Googles search algorithm is deeply complex and constantly evolving to give its users the most accurate, up to date and meaningful information. Those that give such guarantees will take your money and start to spam your site with fake traffic.
Website SEO is a long-term investment that keeps paying you back as long as you maintain it. Your competitors will be constantly making changes and updates to their website to improve rankings, but with minimal monthly maintenance like blogging in the latest news or projects section, you will typically maintain your position in search results.
If you have developed a new website, it generally takes 2-3 weeks to start appearing in search results and will usually improve as the site generates more traffic.
Some tips to help improve your website SEO
Things to do
- Provide clear and engaging content on your pages with a minimum of 300 words
- Use relevant keywords in headings to help users find the information they searched for
- Share your website on social media, this is a quick way to get traffic on a new website
- List your business with Google MyBusiness this will put you on the map, literally!
- Post fresh content that is relevant to your business through the latest news or projects page
Things to avoid
- Copying content from other websites even if it’s a supplier, your content should be unique
- Linking to other websites for further information
- Registering multiple domains and pointing it to the same website
- Participating in link building schemes or pay for back links
- Never buy SEO services from the “offers” you receive on emails